I don’t usually pay much attention to patch notes. Just put the content in the game, and I’ll play it if I can. If there’s changes, fine. I’ll deal. I’m a grown-ass man playing a video game. It’s fine.
However, I will admit that Patch 7.2 has had some pleasant surprises for this grown-ass man. It’s taken an expansion and turned it from being very alt-unfriendly to busting out some very forgiving catch-up mechanics for alts.
Captain Fun had just reached 110, and I’d been wondering how long it would take for him to be, well, not so far behind everybody else on my character roster. Luckily for me, Bellular had recently released a video that addressed that very issue. In fact, it’s this video right here!
It’s a great step by step process in setting an alt up for success in a Patch 7.2 world. For example –
- Get the compendium from main that boosts alt to AK 20.
- Do five quests that the AK guy will have for you @ 500 resources a pop, and voila AK 25!
- Do not do any Artifact Power quests yet, tiger!
- Now go ye forth and do the Broken Shore scenario. Follow the breadcrumb quests. Khadgar will have a quest to use a tome in three different locations. Continue on the quests until they send you back to your Order Hall. Hand in your quest and be rewarded with a tome that will bump you up to Artifact Knowledge 26 (100k% bonus to AP, as opposed to the 25k% at AP 25).
- Either pick up the crafted gear (which now starts off at an iLevel of 835 rather than 815) or run some Normal/Heroic dungeons.
- Run through the Broken Shore, kill rares & farm Sentinax and get some Dauntless tokens.
- Khadgar will give you a quest for the new dungeon, Cathedral of Eternal Night, which rewards a nice relic.
- World Quest gear scales from your current iLevel, and should reward gear at around 855-865.
- World Quest Dungeons rewards 865 gear.
- Nighthold LFR should fill in any slots that are lacking.
- Three Emissary caches and dungeons should be enough to get your Artifact weapon to Rank 35.
And did it work? Well, Captain Fun went from an iLevel of around 780, to running Heroic dungeons (iLevel 825 needed) with his Artifact weapon at Rank 34. Total run time, maybe four hours.
Well played, Blizz. Well played.